The Brandenburg Gate, or Brandenburg Tor in German, is a tangle of historical triumphs and tragedies, misunderstood messages and missing statues. It was originally constructed in 1791 with a very peaceful purpose вЂ“ to symbolize peace itself. For that reason the statue of the Goddess of Peace was put on top of it along with the God of War Mars shown sheathing his sword. The ensemble was later taken to Paris by Napoleon and stayed there for seven years, but was returned to crown the Brandenburg Gate again when Prussians (for the gate was the symbol of Prussian Germany at the time) defeated Bonaparte in 1813. The Goddess of Peace then became the Goddess of Victory.
In the 20th century in the Nazi Germany the Brandenburg Gate was turned into a symbol of something completely opposite to the original message: it stood for aggressive triumph and later for the division of Berlin into two вЂ“ West and East. On the historic day of November 9, 1989, after two and a half decades of standing unused and practically abandoned, the Brandenburg Gate was flooded with happy crowds coming through and to and fro in now united city. The Room of Silence, built into the gate, is dedicated to its original message of peace in Berlin.