The Royal Palace of Madrid, or Palacio Real, is located on Calle BailГ©n opposite the finally completed Almudena cathedral. The palace, as well as the nearby gardens of Campo del Moro, preserve all their original aristocratic beauty.
Palacio Real was built on the spot where once stood an Arabic fortress of the 9th century, replaced by the ancient quarterdeck ruins destroyed by fire in 1734. King Felipe V commissioned the replacement right away: the project of Palacio Real was initiated by Filippo Juvara and continued by Giovanni Battista Sachetti. Palacio Real was built between 1738 and 1764 and finished during the reign of Carlos III. Ventura RodrГguez and Francisco Sabatini had contributed to the construction as well.
The interior is open to public. The most notable rooms include the Porcelain salon, the Throne room (with marvelous views), the Gasparini salon, and the main staircase. Outside, on Plaza de Oriente, stands an impressive equestrian statue of Felipe IV. It is much older than the palace itself, as it was made in 1640 and presented by duke from Tuscany. The statue is remarkable because it was created by the chisel of the sculptor Pietro Tacca, based on the sketch by Diego VelГЎzquez and the calculations of Galileo Galilei - team work of three remarkable men!