The first mention of the church Santa Maria Dels Turers was recorded in 1017. The church was built according to the wishes of the Saint Esteve monastery abbot, and in the beginning it was classified as a Roman church.
At the end of the 13th century the bishop ordered the rebuilding of the church, as its size was no longer suitable for the quickly growing town population of Banyoles. The construction concluded in 1333, turning the church into a Gothic structure.
Initially the whole structure contained only one central nave that was 11 meters wide with a heptagonal apse, but later, between the 17th and 19th century, two side naves were added.