On rue Daru, not far from Arc de Triomphe, stands a Russian Orthodox cathedral, consecrated in 1861. The construction was funded publicly and significant sums were also donated by the Emperor of Russia Alexander II. The architect Kuzmin was sent from Saint Petersburg Academy of Arts. Saint Alexander Nevsky is built from white stone and decorated with mosaics of Christ blessing his flock. The interior of the cathedral borrows inspiration from the St Volodymyr's Cathedral in Kiev.